Saturday, September 18, 2010

focus pt. 2


Hello. Not sure if any of you noticed, but the Wild Beasts post below was removed the other day. It was moved into my drafts folder because it, via linking to some filesharing sites, violated the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). I removed the links and reposted it finding it interesting that only one of my posts caught the attention of someone or something, as most of my posts link to filesharing sites. Regardless, I decided that I would not be so obvious with my linking to filesharing sites. Instead what I will do is put {FS} next to the tracks, EP's or albums that can be found and downloaded through filesharing search engines, like filestube for example. Bit torrents also work if you know how to use them and the file(s) you search is popular enough, which is admittedly rare. If you don't know how to use Bit torrents just ask google. Its all very easy.

I recommend using elbo.ws instead of the hype machine when looking for specific singles because with elbo.ws you can usually see the bitrate of the song before going to the blog and downloading it (higher is better). Mp3's found via these blog search engines are usually legally-free promos from labels and bands and so can range in quality.

Ok. So thats it basically. I guess just remember to actually see the artists when they come around and tell your friends about them so that they can still become full time musicians who get to travel for free. Although I am not making the argument here, there seems to be grounds for the position that filesharing music (free mp3s) could have the upshot of both saving musicians from self-destruction and saving the industry from the slimy fat-cats and middle-men sucking the blood out of and pumping the puss into the music industry. Fame with moderate money could be a much healthier environment for both artists and 'consumers'. As you can tell I'm moved by just the sketch of this theory. What we need now are some facts to confirm or deny it. Anyone want a research project?


Closing the focus meeting is a forward-looking thought. In no particular order expect more classic rock and funk edits, the premier of a new series with the working title of Too Disco?, some very intelligent psychedelic rock, and a full, or at least reasoned discussion of the ideas in and around this video:


PS. Above is a pic of Vancouver I stole from someone's facebook album. I forget who, but you rock.

Hugs,
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment