Thursday, January 20, 2011

unfocus


As this blog is somewhat of a superfluous appendage to my life it is in prime position to be neglected. I apologize that it is not living up to its own promise of seeming to have more than mere appendage status in the life of the author. I suppose this asymmetry may be explained by the tension between the blogs original intent - being a casual experimental record book - and its potential future. Nevertheless, rest assured that regardless of its direction or history, it still exists and is in motion.

With apologies and excuses now out of the way, some words about expectations are in order. As I consider ideas for version 2.0 I keep returning to roughly the same format, modified only by the addition of more reality - meaning more personal anecdotes, politics and philosophy. This will take us into topics and ideas that exist outside the music world, as the outside world looks like it needs some serious attention right now. However, there is alot of music that speaks to that concern and I will try to collect the best of it here, perhaps as a new series. The blog will still remain a music blog at base though because the hard parts of reality can only be cogently handled when music is nearby, organized and ready.

So it could happen that other authors will contribute at times or that a podcast and/or interview series may emerge. I hope so and will try to make it so. But for now finishing my undergrad has got me pretty tied up so things are sluggish on the blog front. Yet I will still make time to post - kinda haphazardly - a bunch of stuff that I have been meaning to for months as well as a few new things (album review from you know who) and maybe even a few tardy end-of-year lists.

Lastly, I will be routinely encouraging feedback and comments from you, for shyness behind a veil of anonymity simply will not fly in 2.0.

Ok. That's all for now.

Hugs,
Ryan


Odetta - Hit or Miss

This track famously appeared in DJ Shadow and Cut Chemists' Brainfreeze live mix in 1999 (thanks Andrew ;) Download the track or mix









RIP Odetta (1930 - 2008)


(taken from the Bob Dylan documentary 'No Direction Home')

No comments:

Post a Comment